BFC IRON SPECIFICATIONS
PART 1 - General
1.01 WORK INCLUDED
This specification covers ornamental iron fence materials including ornamental iron gates, posts and hardware.
1.02 RELATED WORK
Section — Earthwork
Section — Concrete
Section — Painting
1.03 SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
The manufacturer shall supply a complete ornamental fencing system including all components defined herein (fence panels, posts, gates and hardware).
1.04 QUALITY ASSURANCE
The contractor must be familiar with the construction methods and materials involved in ornamental iron fencing.
ASTM A 36 — Structural Steel, Bars, Flats and Shapes
ASTM A 123 — Zinc (Hot-dipped Galvanized) Coatings
ASTM A 500 — Steel Structural Tubing in Rounds and Shapes
ASTM A 513 — Electric-Resistance-Welded Carbon and Alloy Steel Mechanical Tubing
Submit the manufacture's shop drawings and literature prior to installation. Approved shop drawings shall become the basis for acceptance of the work.
1.07 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
Deliver to the job site materials in good condition and properly protected against damage to factory-finished surfaces.
Store materials in a clean, dry location and in such a way as to avoid damage, especially from dust, chemicals and moisture in the air by covering with protective materials. Handle materials carefully on the job site to protect factory finishes.
Builders Fence Co., Inc (BFC). hereby certifies that it manufactures the ornamental iron fencing and gates in accordance with specifications and/or shop drawings supplied by BFC. BFC assumes the responsibility of providing products meeting BFC's prescribed specifications. Local environmental factors vary widely, therefore BFC does not guarantee that its product will perform in any defined manner in any specific environment. Damage to coating due to shipping and installation is to be expected and must be adequately touched up or repainted immediately after occurrence by installer to meet original specification standards.
PART 2 - Products
2.01 ACCEPTABLE MANUFACTURERS
The ornamental fencing system shall be manufactured by:
Builders Fence Company, Inc.
P.O. Box 125
Sun Valley, CA 91353-0125
- Pickets, rails, and posts shall be manufactured from tubing meeting the requirements of ASTM A 513 or A 500 Grade B.
- Solid steel bars, flat plates and shapes shall be manufactured from steel conforming to the requirements of ASTM A 36.
- Pickets for gates shall be of the same size and style as those in the fence panels. Frames for gates shall be of sufficient size and thickness to provide adequate support without sag. Adjustable trussing may be required. Gate hardware shall be supplied by the manufacturer and shall be of sufficient size and capacity to support the gate specified.
2.03 FABRICATION - General
- Steel used in the manufacturing of panels, gates and posts shall conform to the ASTM standards specified and shall be new prime material.
- Panels, gates and flanged posts shall be of welded construction. No wire rods, screws or rivets shall be accepted to attach pickets to rails. Layout and welding shall be done by experienced craftsmen. Welds shall be made by the gas metal arc method and welds shall be neat, clean and of the sizes indicated on the drawings. All flush welds shall be ground smooth.
- After fabrication panels, gates and posts shall be power washed in a phosphoric acid solution, rinsed and dried.
Finish shall be chosen from one of the following:
- BFC GALVA-GUARD I
- BFC GALVA-GUARD II
- BFC GALVA-GUARD III
- BFC POLY-PRO+
PART 3 - Execution
- The contractor shall layout the new fence in accordance with the fence construction plans, shop drawings, and all applicable requirements and codes.
- The contractor shall verify any grade changes or surface irregularities.
- Discrepancies between the approved shop drawings and field conditions must be approved by the architect or engineer prior to proceeding with the installation.
- Fence posts shall be set plumb and level at spaces shown on the drawings. Footings shall be of the sizes indicated. Post caps shall be as indicated on the drawings.
- Fence panels shall be welded or bolted to the posts. Field welding of rail to the post shall be a complete 360 degree (all four sides) and shall be the size indicated on the drawings. Welds shall be cleaned and coated with a primer the same day the welding is performed. Bolted connections shall use bolts and tabs of the size indicated on the drawings. After tightening bolt, threads shall be peened.
- Gates shall be installed plumb and level and shall be the sizes and style indicated on the drawings. The contractor shall install any gate stops that may be required. Any padlock provisions or strikes shall be field attached to assure alignment. The contractor shall lubricate the hinges, rollers and other gate hardware after installation.
- All field welds and any abrasions to factory coatings shall be thoroughly cleaned, re-primed and touched up by the contractor with paint of the same quality, color and gloss of that used by the manufacturer.